More than just a person whom we turn to when things get tough, but also the one that we know has our backs, no matter if its 3pm or 3am, no questions asked. Yes, we are referring to the queen of your household and first queen of your heart, Mummy dearest! With Mother’s Day just around the corner (12 May), we could think of no better way to kick-start the season of motherly love than with some interesting Mother’s Day facts and trivia that we bet you didn’t know!
1. The annual Mother’s Day tradition began in America and was first celebrated in 1908.
2. There isn’t an actual date set aside for Mother’s Day, rather it is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of May every year and this year, it falls on 12 May. This is similar to Father’s Day, which is celebrated annually on the 3rd Sunday of June.
3. Anna Jarvis is credited for creating and persuading politicians to make Mother’s Day an actual holiday. Her intention for Mother’s Day was to have a day which has been specifically set aside for children to visit or spend time with their own mother, and to thank her for all the sacrifices that she had made for them.
4. The Mother’s Day which we celebrate today is neither a Christian nor Jewish holiday. Although during the first Mother’s Day, Carnations were first given out to all Mothers who had attended Sunday Mass, it was never Anna Jarvis’ to make it a religious celebration.
5. Mother’s Day is an official holiday! Unlike “Manatee Appreciation Day” or “International Pancake Day”, an actual President officially declared this as an official holiday. On 9 May 1914, the 28th President of the United States of America, Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation to designate the 2nd Sunday of May “as a public expression of love and reverence for the mothers of our country.”
6. Flower hand bouquets and table arrangements, especially those with Carnations in them, rank as one of the most gifted items for Mother’s Day. In America, about a quarter of the annual flower sales are made just from this occasion alone.
So, how many of these trivia did you already know of?
Speaking of which, we’ve just launched a collection of beautiful flower hand bouquets and gift bundles just in time for Mother’s Day, click here to browse! But if Mother’s Day flowers are not what you are looking for today, head back to our blog to explore other interesting flower and plant related articles.